Feet Measuring guide
Knowing your child’s correct shoe sizes across the international sizing standards can save you a lot of time and a lot of money. If you are planning on ordering shoes online, make sure you check our returns policy first, just in case the shoes don’t fit. You don’t want to be stuck with a pair of ill-fitting shoes and risk damaging your child’s feet.
If your child requires special orthopaedic, extra stability or correction shoes due to specific medical reasons, or wears AFO, please consult with your Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist or Podiatrist before purchasing our shoes or any shoes from other suppliers.
Alternatively, please contact us and we can advise you with the best choice of shoes to meet special needs of your child.
This video demonstrates how to measure feet with some handy hints and tips.
1) Step One – What do I need
You need the following before starting to measure your child’s feet:
- 2 blank A4 pieces of paper
- A pencil
- A tape measure or ruler
2) Step Two - Measure
Measure your child’s feet by tracing the shape of them onto a piece of paper. Be as accurate as possible.
When tracing and measuring your kids’ feet, it is important to:
- Measure the feet late in the day – they are at their largest after standing up on them all day!
- Keep the pencil as vertical as possible
- Trace and measure both feet, and use the measurements from the larger foot to determine the right shoe size.
- If you are measuring for shoes that will be worn with socks make sure your child is wearing socks when you are tracing their feet
3) Step Three – Find the length
Then, using a ruler, measure the length of the foot from the back of the heel to the end of the tallest toe.
4) Choosing the Right Size Shoe
After you have measured, and as you are checking the sizing guide, please allow for the following:
- For children up to four (4) years old allow five (5) mm for growth
- For children five (5) years and older allow one (1) cm for growth
This Combined Sizing Chart will help you to determine which size will most likely match the feet measurements.
It is advisable to write down which size will fit in each brand as there are variances between the brands.